Carrot cake has always been one of my favorite cakes.
I am not however a fan of boxed carrot cake mix. Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan of cake mixes they can make life a lot simpler but I like to be able to see the carrot in my cake! Otherwise, it is spice cake!
I like cream cheese frosting on my carrot cake but if you aren’t a fan here is my recipe for homemade buttercream frosting, delish!
I made this recipe as a cake for a friend’s daughter’s birthday, you can find the step-by-step directions here.
This recipe is a little time consuming but worth every minute! You start by grating the carrots. I know sounds like a lot of work but it is worth it! Use a food processor to grate the carrots it will make it go a lot quicker!
I love making this recipe in cupcake form, portion control! They also freeze well and you can pop them out of the freezer as you need them.
- 3 cups oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 4 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl beat together oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add grated carrots.
- In a separate bowl mix baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and flour.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir until blended.
- Pout into prepared pan or cupcake tin.
- For cupcakes bake 15-20 minutes for 8 inch cake bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn into a wire wrack and cool completely.
- Frost the cooled cake or cupcakes.