This Apple Pie Oatmeal recipe is made with steep cut oats overnight in the slow cooker so you can wake to a healthy breakfast!
This recipe was adapted from the Gooseberry Patch Hometown Harvest cookbook.
We love oatmeal at our house so I knew this recipe was going to be a hit! The first time I made it my oldest asked what kind of pie I was making! Tastes like pie but is healthier!
Apple Pie Oatmeal
I originally learned of this technique to cook steel cut oats (MUST BE STEEL CUT) from my friends at Recipes That Crock, click the link to see a video with step by step instructions. Other types of oatmeal can be cooked in the crock pot at shorter cooking times but steel cut is the only kind that will not be mush at a longer cooking time.
I like a thinner oatmeal so I always add more milk, it also helps it to cool down faster.
Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats, uncooked
- 1 to 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 Tablespoon apple pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- raisins, chopped walnuts, additional milk and or brown sugar.
- Place a glass bowl on the inside of a slow cooker, you are making a double boiler.
- Pour water into the crock pot (not in the glass bowl) until it is half way up the outside of the glass bowl.
- Mix all ingredients in the bowl (milk, 1 cup water, oats, butter, honey, flax seed, apple pie spice and salt.)
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir well and top with desired toppings.
Referral links were used in this post
Shared on Meal Plan Monday
Linked on Weekend Potluck