Are you looking for a hearty casserole recipe? This Cheesy Smoked Sausage Vegetable Casserole is easy to toss together and a great weeknight dinner.
I love all-in-one meals like this casserole! They makes dinner simple and simple is my favorite!
This recipe comes from an old Indiana Farmers Union cookbook and was originally titled, “Winter Casserole”, I changed the name because I first made it in the summer and I didn’t want the name to fool anyone! It can be enjoyed year round.
Cheesy Smoked Sausage Vegetable Casserole
This recipe is total comfort food! I usually have creamed corn on hand because we love this Corn Casserole. This recipe is one of my go-to’s on those nights where I have no idea on what to make for dinner.
Frozen hashbrowns make a great substitution (instead of the sliced potatoes) to make this recipe even quicker and easier. I always have frozen diced onion and green pepper on hand, total time savers. Don’t like green peppers, leave them out.
I know not everyone has the exact pan size listed below but recipe doesn’t quite make enough for a 9×13 pan so any rectangular pan smaller than a 9×13 or a 2 quart casserole dish would work great.
Serves: 4-5 servings
- 3 cups thinly sliced raw potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a 10x6x2 dish (use something smaller than a 9x13 if you don't have this exact size) place slices potatoes and onion.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add milk, corn, green pepper and smoked sausage.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees, covered with foil, for 45 minutes and then uncovered for 15 mins.