Are you looking for a Creamed Spinach casserole recipe that tastes just like the one from your favorite steakhouse? Look no further!
One of my favorite sides to get at a steak house is creamed spinach. So I created this recipe to satisfy my craving at home. If you are a regular here you know I love simple tasty recipes.
While this one takes a little more time to make it, it is perfect when you wanting a side for a nice steak dinner at home or for a holiday meal.
The trick to this recipe is to make a roux for the cream sauce. If is more simple than it seems. I love to use a flat whisk when making a roux to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Make sure you divide the butter using part of it to start your roux. Once it has melted add the flour and use the whisk to incorporate.
Gradually add the half and half and mix together and then toss in the cream cheese. The other part of the butter is used to saute the onions and garlic. Once they are translucent add the spinach until wilted. Once wilted add the cream sauce to the spinach and enjoy!
- 5 tablespoons of butter (divided)
- ¼ cup of flour.
- ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 ounces baby spinach.
- Melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Add the flour to make a roux, mixing together until blended.
- Stir in half-and-half until incorporated.
- Add the cream cheese and Parmesan and increase the heat to medium.
- Continue to stir until melted and incorporated and then reduce heat.
- In a large sauce pan saute the onions and garlic in remainder of butter (2 tablespoons) on medium heat until transparent.
- Add the spinach by handfuls until all incorporated and cook until wilted but not soggy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg to the cream mixture.
- Add the spinach mixture to the cream and gently stir together.
- Serve immediately.
Referral links were used in this post.
Shared on MEAL PLAN MONDAY
Linked to Weekend Potluck