Easy Baked Ziti is a family friendly recipe that is requested often at our house. It also makes a great freezer meal.
If you ask our toddler what he would like for dinner nine times out of 10 he will automatically answer, “Pasta!” He will eat it just about any way you serve it to him. But this recipe is one of his and my sister’s favorite!
Easy Baked Ziti
I love to use both sausage and hamburger in my red pasta sauces. I also love that this recipe uses a jar of spaghetti sauce which could be your momma’s awesome homemade version or your favorite store bought version. I usually double this recipe when I make it because it isn’t that much more work and then we eat one and I freeze the other for a busy day.
- 1 box 12 oz. uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 carton 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 10 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook ziti pasta according to directions on the box.
- In a skillet cook beef and sausage over medium heat until done (no longer pink) and drain grease.
- Add the garlic, chopped onion, can of tomatoes and simmer for 3-5 minutes..
- Stir in spaghetti sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture and stir until blended.
- Spoon a third of meat sauce into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish and top with half the pasta mixture.
- Repeat layers and top with remaining meat sauce.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Did I miss the cooking temp? Don’t see it.
Liz Kelsay says
I fixed it! Thanks for letting me know!
What size can for the tomatoes?
Liz Kelsay says
A 14.5 ounce can. I updated the recipe. Enjoy!