Sugar cookies are great for any Holiday but are a must for Christmas! These Sour Cream Sugar Cookies will have everyone coming back for seconds!
What goes better with cookies than a tall glass of ice cold milk?! My kids love to dip their cookies in milk and we love the fact that as dairy farmers we get to be help supply a staple in most families homes. On our farm our cows are milked 3 times a day.
They have a nutritionist who comes every couple weeks to make sure they are getting the proper diet based on their stage in life. Our cows sleep on waterbeds and have a veterinarian who comes and does well visits every couple weeks. Santa Drinks Milk!
We always leave Santa his cookies and milk by the nativity.
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
The sour cream and touch of cream of tartar really do set these cookies apart! We love making them all year long. You can make a glaze with powdered sugar and water to decorate with. Or you can use Royal Icing (it will set up and get hard). My favorite to use is to do a layer of the royal icing and then decorate with buttercream icing! Yum!
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups flour + some for rolling out
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients and stir together.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until blended.
- Add the sour cream.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and beat until combined.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface to desired thickness.
- Use desired cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 8-12 minutes depending on size of your cookie cutter, potentially less if using a smaller cookie cutter.
- Cookies are done when edges start turning.
- Leave cookies on cookie sheet to cool.
- Decorate as desired.
Here are some other great cookies recipes perfect for your Christmas cookie platter!
Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies from Chasing Saturdays.
Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies From The Farmwife Feeds.
Cherry Delight Cookies from Kimmi’s Dairyland.
Chocolate Crinkles from The Backroad Life.
Butterball Cookies from My Fearless Kitchen.
Oreo Truffles from Beyer Beware.
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies from The Farmwife Crafts.
Shared on Weekend Potluck
Shared on Cookie Plan Monday
Referral links were used in this post.
This post was sponsored by The Glass Barn, brought to you by the Indiana Soybean Farmers. As always all thoughts and opinions are my own.