Are you looking for an easy cake recipe? This Gooey Butter Cake is lick your fingers good and only has 5 ingredients.
This cake was so good I had to get it out of the house before I ate it all! This recipe comes from an old homemaker cookout I found at my husband’s grandmas house.
This cake is more bar like with two layers, a crust made with the cake mix and a gooey top layer, hence the name!
Gooey Butter Cake
5 ingredients is all it takes to make this yummy recipe! It is super simple, my favorite kind, which makes it great for picnics and potlucks. Why spend a bunch of time cooking when you can spend that time with your guests!
To make a smooth filling layer be sure to let your cream cheese come to room temperature.
Cleaning the knife after each cut will help ensure a cleaner cut. The gooey filling tends to stick on the knife and can make a mess of the shape of your bars.
I can’t wait to try variations of this recipe, chocolate is a must! What other flavor combinations do you think would be good?
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs, divided
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the cake mix, 2 eggs and melted butter with an electric mixer on low speed until mixed well.
- Pour into a greased, 9x13 inch pan.
- Mix together the cream cheese, remaining 2 eggs and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until blended, beat an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour over cake mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Referral links were used in this post
Linked to: Weekend Potluck
Linked to: Meal Plan Monday