I had never heard of Root Beer Cake so when I saw it in the new 101 Farmhouse Favorites Cookbook from Gooseberry Patch I knew I had to try it!
I brought it to the farm with lunch one day and I barely got a piece! The guys gobbled it right up! One of them even asked for the recipe! That’s a success in my book!
If you are going to be serving this to a crowd I would double the recipe and use a 9 x 13 pan. I know I will be next time I make it!
For a made from scratch cake and frosting this recipe is easy and comes together in a flash!
Start by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
Pour into your pan and bake.
While the cake is baking, make the frosting.
Mix all ingredients except root beer.
Add root beer and mix until desired consistency.
Root Beer Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup root beer
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 Tablespoon milk
- 1/3 cup root beer, chilled
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed; beat for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick tests clean.
- In a bowl, beat together all frosting ingredients except root beer.
- Add root beer; beat to desired consistency.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake.
- Serves 8-10.