Are you looking for a new Instant Pot recipe? Gramma’s Beef Barley Soup is a great pressure cooker recipe and can be made in the slow cooker too!
I found this recipe in the Hometown Harvest Gooseberry Patch cookbook. I just love this cookbook!
Gramma’s Beef Barley Soup
I love to use the saute feature on the Instant Pot because it helps the pot come to pressure faster than just starting it cold. This soup is east to toss together. Start by sauteing the beef and then add all the other ingredients and cook on manual pressure for 20 minutes.
If you want to make this quicker you can use frozen vegetables, whatever kind you like. They won’t need extra time.
HOW TO MAKE IN THE SLOW COOKER:
I also love finding slow cooker recipes that take 10-12 hours to cook! It is great getting off work, picking up the little one at the sitter and coming home to a dinner that has cooked itself! I have made a couple recipes in the crock pot that were for 6-8 hours only to get home after 9 hours to a meal that was a little over done!
The next time I make this I am going to assemble everything the night before and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning I will pull it out, add water and turn on the slow cooker, believe it or not there has been more than one occasion I forgot to turn the silly thing on. Not good!
This soup is hearty enough to serve alone or would be great with a salad and some crusty bread! In fact this French Bread would be wonderful with it.
Add carrots, celery, green pepper and corn to a large slow cooker; set aside. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef and onion in oil; drain and add to slow cooker. In a bowl, combine tomatoes with liquid, barley, bouillon and seasonings; pour over beef. Add water; do not stir. Cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours.
This soup would also freeze well, when you warm it back up you may have to add more water and bouillon for taste.
Gramma's Beef Barley Soup - Instant Pot Recipe
- 2 C. carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 2 lbs. stew beef cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 16- oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 2/3 c. pearled barley uncooked
- 1 T. beef bouillon granules
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 3/4 t. dried basil
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 5 c. water
- With the lid off turn on the Instant Pot and select the Saute feature. You will want to saute on normal" or medium heat.
- Place the oil and stew meat in the Instant pot and saute until the beef is brown on all sides; add garlic and onion and saute a couple more minutes.
- Hit cancel to turn off the saute feature.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the valve is sealed.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes (it will take it a while to build pressure).
- Then use semi quick release by using a wooden spoon to tap the valve multiple times before fully releasing the valve.
Shared on WEEKEND POTLUCK
Referral links were used in this post.