Are you looking for a new, easy, make ahead recipe to make during your next camping trip? This Pie Iron Tasty Taco recipe is great over the campfire.
This recipe comes from the Gooseberry Patch Homemade Harvest Cookbook.
Do you love pie iron recipes? They are so fun to make!
Pie Iron Tasty Tacos
These Pie Iron Tasty Tacos are easy to make, start by spraying the inside of the pie iron with non-stick spray.
Place a tortilla on one side, you may have to cut or tear it to fit. Fill the shell with seasoned ground beef and cheese. Top with the other shell and close the pie iron. Cook over medium coals until tortilla is crispy.
Garnish with all of your favorite taco toppings!!
You can cook the taco meat before you leave home to help make it a little easier. I usually put it in a ziploc bag because they are easier to fit in a camper fridge than a container. I also some times toss it in the freezer for a day before we leave home if I am worried about keeping everything cold.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 oz. package taco seasoning mix
- 5-inch tortillas (12)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- Garnish: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, salsa and sour cream
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned.
- Drain; stir in taco seasoning according to package directions.
- Spray the inside of a pie iron with non-stick spray; place tortilla on one side.
- Add about ¼ cup of beef on tortilla; sprinkle with cheese and onion.
- Arrange a second tortilla over filling; close pie iron.
- Cook over medium-hot coals until tortilla is crispy and filling is heated through, about 10 minutes. Remove from pie iron; garnish as desired. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Shared on Weekend Potluck