Are you looking for a fool proof way to make Grilled BBQ Chicken? This recipe includes a secret step that results in the juiciest grilled chicken you have ever had!
Are you ready for the secret? You boil the chicken before you grill it! That helps ensure the chicken gets fully cooked and locks in some of the juices so your chicken won’t end up dry. I love the flavor of this BBQ sauce (add brown sugar based on your desired sweetness) but feel free to use your favorite homemade or store bought variety.
Your grill time can vary depending on the size and cut of chicken you choose so always use a meat thermometer to make sure it is cooked to the correct temperature.
- 3 pounds chicken or 6 chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder divided
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons onion powder divided
- 2 cups Ketchup
- 1 to 2 cups brown sugar packed and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoke flavored cooking sauce
- Place chicken in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Cover with water; add 3 teaspoons garlic powder and one teaspoon onion powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile. in a saucepan over medium heat, mix together ketchup, one cup brown sugar, mustard, chili powder and remaining garlic and onion powders.
- Add remaining brown sugar to taste.
- Simmer about 15 minutes; add smoke flavored sauce and cook another few minutes.
- Place chicken on an oiled grate over medium-high heat.
- Grill for 20 - 40 minutes, turning and basting often with sauce, until chicken juices run clear.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken is cooked to the correct temperature.
Referral links were used in this post.
Linked to: Weekend Potluck