Zucchini Pie is a great summer dessert recipe. This pie is sweet with a crust and tastes like a sugar cream pie but is made with zucchini.
This recipe comes from family friends. We would have this pie every summer with zucchini from our garden. I recently made it for a family gathering and wouldn’t tell anyone what the secret ingredient was until they tried it! Almost everyone thought it was a sugar cream pie. Talk about a fun way to get your veggies in!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: FOOD PROCESSOR
I use a food processor to puree the zucchini for this recipe. But you could also use a box grater or blender. The smaller the grate the better so you don’t notice the chunks of zucchini in the recipe.
Toss all ingredients in the food processor or blender and whip them up. The filling will be on the runny side. Pour into an unbaked pie crust, here is my favorite pie crust recipe, but you can use store bought if you like.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- Zucchini – peeled and pureed
- Evaporated Milk
- Butter – melted
- Pie Crust
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI PIE
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor
- Pout into an unbaked pie shell
- Sprinkle with cinnmon and nutmeg
- Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to remove the zucchini peel? You technically don’t have to peel (my mom wouldn’t when she was making it just for us) but know that the green peel will make the pie a tad green colored.
Do you need to cook the zucchini first? The original recipe called for the zucchini to be cooked prior to making but I skip that step.
More Great Zucchini Recipes
- 1 cup zucchini peeled and pureed
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Tbls Butter melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 9 in Pie crust unbaked
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Pour into an unbaked pie shell.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg
- Bake for 10 mins and then reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 30 mins or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Referral links were used in this post.